Sunday, September 27, 2009

1 month in Korea

It's been about 1 month since I arrived in this country. I must say, it doesn't feel like that at all. I feel like I arrived yesterday. One thing I notice about this country is how global it is. It's so fascinating to see how many foreigners come here, to hear about their walks in life and why they are here now. I really like it. I've met handful of people from across the globe that I would have never met back home.

It's definitely refreshing to be able to find that one connection that makes communication here easier. That connection is English. My friend Ashley told me that it is luxury for Koreans to be able to speak English. In some ways, it's like a privilege I never realized. But even though it's a luxury for Koreans, there are some road blocks along the way for foreigners. Being in a country where your home language isn't the main language can be so difficult. During the week, I definitely notice how easy it is to be silenced from the communication pool if I'm not around Koreans who speak English or around other foreigners. I think because I'm Asian that some Koreans may mistake me for being able to know the language so they approach me and talk to me if they need help for directions or are looking for a particular place. This usually happens when I'm around the subway. I feel bad having to say "Oh I'm not Korean" in English and seeing their confused expressions as they walk away. It's moments like those where I really wish I knew the language. But with that, I've definitely taken an interest in trying to learn it. I'm in the beginning stages and who knows how much I'll be able to get. Currently, I'm learning how to read, which hasn't been too difficult - I just don't know what over 98% of what I read is haha.

This month has been a lot of learning and taken a lot of patience to adjust and go with the flow. I don't think you can really know what patience is until you've actually been here.

Another thing I wonder about is how my English speaking is going to change through the course of the year. Since I'm teaching English as a second language, the pace in which I speak to Koreans is much much much slower than how I would normally carry on a conversation. I enunciate more and find myself saying sentences I wouldn't really say to another native English speaker. While not normal, as a daily practice it's more and more becoming normalized for me to talk like that. To slow down, repeat myself, stutter through sentences is becoming a habit. I still think I talk too fast for most of the Korean teachers and students to really understand me.

But anyway, Korea has been absolutely amazing! I truly am glad that I am here right now soaking in every moment. Within this month, I've experienced the never ending night life, bartering at the shopping districts, seeing a fabulous Asia music concert (KPOP <3) for free, a global bboy competition, noraebang, and visiting local tourist spots around the area I live in. I definitely want to do more toursity things here. I plan to spend my Korean thanksgiving, Chuseok, going around the city and seeing what's around. If possible, I'd also like to travel to Busan - but that's very tentative due to time, travel, and money. I'm more than likely going to stay in Seoul for my 5 day weekend. Yep, 5 days!! So exciting! I shall post some pictures of things I've done soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment