Friday, September 4, 2009

The City

So I have just finished my first week of full time teaching. Although, I would have to say it was more a week of adjustment and waiting. I still have not taught a class or prepared a lesson with my coteacher, but I guess that is for next week. It's been very interesting adapting myself to Korean culture. On Saturday evening, I was bussed off to Kangdong-gu where I met my manager teacher and main co-teacher. They were very nice and welcoming to me, but they were nervous to meet me. I think they were suprised at how young I am - I'm probably the youngest in the whole school. All in all, I have 4 Korean co-teachers that I will be working with. It's very difficult for me to try and remember all their names. I never expected Korean names would be sooo difficult.

Life in my new place was definitely challenging. I never realized how hard it was going to be all by myself with no cell phone or internet to get in touch with people. Plus, it was scary to start to realize that you are running very very low on money. It was super scary and intimidating for me to venture out into the city because of the language, the culture, and realizing my dependence on others. However, I was able to get through it and I eventually got to see my friends. I live in Amsadong and I really like it so far. There is a good number of shopping marts, grocery stores, food stands, a gym, a shopping mall, etc that are all within walking
distance from me. There is even a Burger King open 24 hours if I ever crave Western food.

This week has been a whole lot of learning for myself. Adapting to Korean culture and really trying to present myself as best I can has made me very stressed, but everyone I work with is so kind and caring towards me. It's very family-like in Korea where they want to ensure that you are healthy and happy. The vice principal, Mr. Chun, has also been pushing me toward being more independent by making me venture to the other side of Seoul and back for all the immigration paper work. It was actually a fun experience to go about by myself and see different areas of the city and learn the ropes of the subway.

I'm currently teaching at Cheondong Elementary school. It's about a 20 minute subway commute and walk from where I live. Overall, I really like the school. While not everyone is well versed in English (in fact, no one really is), all the teachers are very welcoming and want to talk to me - they are just shy about using English because it takes time and can be difficult for them. Everyone seems so curious about me and what life is like from a Western perspective.

The children here are so unbelievably adorable. While the discipline structure may be lacking in Korean education, their spunk and energy is so refreshing. I've observed a 3rd and 6th grade class and it was all very cute. The curriculum does not seem to be difficult to teach at all so I'm excited about that. Many of the students are so fascinated that I'm a foreigner. They like to stare at me and every now and then one will say "Hi". A lot of girls also go crazy when I walk around the school. They shout and scream and it is all very awkward for me. I guess I should enjoy the mini-celebrity status before it all ends and I just become a normal teacher.

Anyway, I feel like I've learned a lot already and it's only been two weeks so far. I'm so antsy to go out and explore/travel around the city and really soak up as much as I can from this whole experience.


Dongdaemun!


Dongdaemun stream!


Ashley! my RA friend!


Fun art in Hongdae!


Fun art in Itaewon!

2 comments:

  1. oh, matty. you are their version of super junior. hahahaha

    when do you actually start teaching? and are you teaching multiple classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i already started! i'm about two weeks in ... 1 week of real teaching.it's fun ... i teach about 4-5 classes a day ... 5th and 6th grade!

    ReplyDelete